Executive Pastry Chef,
Scala's Bistro, San Francisco
Kimberly Bugler joins Scala's Bistro as the Executive Pastry Chef, and brings with her more than 20 years of experience in the restaurant industry. Graduating first in her class from The French Culinary Institute in 1993, Bugler has since worked in top restaurants such as the esteemed Maxim's in New York City, American Park at the Battery and the New York Marriott Marquis.
Bugler's creations have been featured on Discovery Channel's The World Culinary Olympics; TLC's Extreme Weddings; and Food Network's broadcast of the National Pastry Team Championship. In 2010, Bugler was selected as one of Dessert Professional Magazine's Top 10 Pastry Chefs in America.
Bugler has also been a five time Finalist in the U. S. Pastry Competition, a Finalist in the National Dessert Competition, a Team Chef in the National Pastry Championships, and a member of Team Las Vegas that earned a Silver Medal in the 2004 World Culinary Olympics. She has also been featured in several books including The Colors of Dessert, Small Things Sweet, Pies, Puddings, and Street Eats.
- Q: Who is your culinary mentor?
- A: Willy Wonka! (The Gene Wilder portrayal... No offense Johnny) Pastry is such a whimsical and delightful medium to be able to create in.
- Q: What is your favorite ingredient to cook with?
- A: I love the use of different salts to highlight a particular dish. Something magic happens when you add a special salt to chocolate or honey, or citrus fruit.
- Q: Who would you most like to cook for?
- A: My great grandmother Lizzie.
- Q: What is your favorite cookbook?
- A: Au Coeur des Saveurs is my favorite French Pastry Cookbook
- Q: Name a career highlight?
- A: Cooking for Julia Child 3 times during her 80th Birthday Celebration
Scala's | 432 Powell St, San Francisco, CA 94102 | Phone: (415) 395-8555 | www.scalasbistro.com